Consultant to Pilot-test the WWF Forest Based Diversity Framework
Before launching the assessment framework actively, the guidance will be pilot tested with three WWF country offices, of which Laos has been chosen, in order to see potential gaps, difficulties, areas of improvement and to be able to estimate the time required and if any, what kind of external consultants is needed. The pilots will be used as show cases for coming projects. The intention is to be able to present the pilots as much as possible in a digital way using Arc GIS.
Objective of the Consultancy:
To pilot test the A Guide for WWF Staff on Establishing Impactful Production Forest-Based Biodiversity Recovery Projects, in 3 proposed sites within Khammuan and Bolikhamxay Province, Lao PDR. The sites are located within the Mekong Timber Plantations (MTP) concession area.
Scope of Work:
Conduct the assessment for the location as outlined in A Guide for WWF Staff on Establishing Impactful Production Forest-Based Biodiversity Recovery Projects draft v December 2022:
- The assignment includes desk work (collection, processing, and analysis of the available relevant information and data), as well as fieldwork and meetings.
- Note: Fieldwork and meetings should be carried out in a cautious manner in view of the pandemic situation of the country and strictly following the “anti-Covid” measures imposed by the national authorities.
- A combined report of data of all parts #1-5 of the framework.
- Present the data/findings etc, in a report in a table format also including reference articles, data, etc. As much as possible data should be collected and analyzed using GIS applications and be shared with WWF as map layers.
- Comments related to undertaking of the actual assessment, i.e. how much time was needed to do the assessment, who has been involved in the meetings, unclarities in the framework, sticky issues, possible difficulties to get GIS data, from where the data was taken, etc.
- Overall comments on the guidance document.
- A final project concept based on the findings and data of the assessment
- A Project proposal Pitch # 8.
- Presentation of the report and findings to WWF Forests Forward team.
- Minimum bachelor's degree in General Biology, Geography, and/or Natural Resources Management related field;
- Preferably also a MSc in forest ecology, biodiversity conservation and forestry, natural resource economics, sustainable land management, ecosystem management, or similar.
Experience, skills, and competencies
- Minimum 10 years of experience related to biodiversity/forestry/ sustainable land management;
- Previous experience evaluating biodiversity or eco-systems naturalness and potential or related work;
- Understanding of land use legislation and its application in Laos in relation to relations between Government authorities, villagers, and concessions;
- Relevant experience in the development and implementation of sustainable land management related projects is a great advantage;
- Knowledge of land conservation and management tools, preferably in the area of biodiversity conservation;
- Awareness and understanding of the relevant land degradation, biodiversity, climate change issues;
- Experience with the use of GIS software;
- High-level English proficiency is required – for reporting and presentation to the FFL team.
Prior to submission of a proposal, interested candidates are strongly advised to contact WWF-Laos for a copy of:
- A Guide for WWF Staff on Establishing Impactful Production Forest-Based Biodiversity Recovery Projects (draft v December 2021) &
- Site-specific information of the proposed locations.
Applications to be emailed to:
firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- Preliminary research plan, methodology used, including timelines;
- The proposed budget excludes costs related to transportation, accommodation, interpretation;
- Cover letter and CV.
Closing Date: 13 March 2022
- Due to the ever-changing travel requirements into Laos, preference will be for consultants currently based in Laos.
- The consultancy can be undertaken by an individual or as a team.